Gluten-free baking is often a challenge because of the flour and basic ingredients: gluten free mixtures have different properties than normal wheat flour and some practice is needed.
However there are some great options, when no flour is needed at all, that we should not forget about! Meringues and pavlovas are one of them, and they make for a great base tart, especially in summer with fresh ingredients.
Enjoy this strawberries & red fruits version!
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 80 gr sugar
- 2 egg white
- 200 ml cream
- 16 strawberries
- 16 rasberries
- 20 blackberries
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- Best way to prepare meringue is to use a quantity of sugar that is double than the egg whites.
- Whip up the egg whites with half the sugar (and optionally also 3 drops of lemon juice). When the mix in almost firm add the rest of the sugar and whip for 5 minutes, or until it's completely stiff and glossy.
- Cover a baking sheet with baking paper. Use a piping bag to form 6 little disks (5-6 cm diameter) on the baking paper, pipe the rest in little spirals of 1 cm all around the sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 110 °C for 90 minutes. When the time is up, turn off the heat, open the oven and let them cool down for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the red fruits cream: blend half of the fruits, add the cream and powdered sugar and whip everything together.
- When the meringues are ready prepare the composition: spoon or pipe some cream on top and garnish with red fruits or other ingredients as you like mint leaves, lemon zest, pistachio or hazelnut crumbs).
TIPS: Enjoy the meringue while still fresh, and within 15 minutes from the composition. If you want to preserve them for long, just keep the meringues in an air-tight container, they will also preserve up to 10 days.
Have you tried it? Do you have any suggestions? Leave your comment!