Falafel are quite popular in the Netherlands, you can find them in most fast foods and middle eastern eateries. However most of the times they are not gluten-free!
So I started exploring on my own, to find the best gluten-free falafel recipe. This version with beetroot is one of my favorite: tasty, colorful and quicker to prepare. It only takes 20 minutes, and you are done in 3 quick steps! Just try it.
Ingredients (20 falafel)
- 200 gr beetroot
- 90 gr carrots
- 75 gr gluten-free bread
- 50 gr gluten-free bread crumbs
- 6 tbsp chickpeas flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Spices: 1/2 tsp ground koriander, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp cardamom, 1/4 turmeric powder
- Oil to shallow fry
- In a food processor, mix the beetroots, carrots and the garlic. Bring the bread to pieces with your hands and add to the mix. You can mix it with the food processor as well. Let it rest for 10 min.
- Move the mix into a bowl, add the salt, spices and chickpeas flour, stir well with a spoon. Create the falafel shape with the help of 2 teaspoons: pick a spoon of mix, transfer it to to a little bowl with the breadcrumbs, and work with your hands to adjust the shape (ball or oval).
- Shallow fry in a pan with oil, for around 3-4 minutes per each side. Serve while hot!
TIPS: This version makes very soft falafel. If you like a more firm result, you can add more chickpeas flour. The falafel are great also the day after, just keep them in the fridge for maximum 2 days.
Have you tried it? Do you have any suggestions? Leave your comment!