The beauty of eating gluten-free is discovering new natural ingredients.
I've never eaten amaranth before knowing I was celiac, and it has been a great addition to my pantry ever since!
If you've never tried it, this is an easy recipe to get started. And after the first test, you can customize it as you prefer. Just keep the fundamentals: amaranth, veggies, ricotta cheese.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 175 gr amaranth (grains)
- Vegetables (1 zucchini, 1 carrot, 1 leek, 120 gr green peas)
- 125 gr ricotta cheese
- 35 gr parmesan cheese
- Spices (1 tsp curry, 1 tsp ground curcuma, 1/2 tsp ground koriander)
- 1 tsp salt
- Olive oil, salt & pepper
- Prepare the vegetables: Cut the zucchini and the carrot into matchsticks (or into little cubes if you prefer), thinly slice the leek into rings.
- Cook the vegetables in a wok or in a pan with a little olive oil, low heat for 10 minutes. Then add the peas and the spices (curry, kurkuma and koriander) and cook for 10 more minutes, until the veggies are soft.
- In the meantime cook the amaranth in another non-stick pan. First heat the pan and cook the amaranth for 2-3 minutes (stir frequently), then add boiling water (250-300 ml) and leave for 15 min over low heat. It will absorb the water.
- Gently mix the vegetables and the amaranth, and lastly add the ricotta cheese.
- Pour the mix into a greased tin (or use baking paper) and spread the parmesan cheese on top of the pie, it will give it a nice crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes at 180 °C.
TIPS: Prepare the Amaranth Pie for a dinner with friends or make some extra for your lunch box, it's still really tasty the day after!
Have you tried it? Do you have any suggestions? Leave your comment