I loved experimenting with this recipe, and I'm so happy with the result for 2 reasons.
First, it's extremely simple, with only 3 ingredients. Besides I am so thrilled that I found a way to replicate some of my favorite raw bars or dates balls. Doing things at home means that you can be sure there's no preservative, additional color or sugar.
Easy and healthy in 10 minutes! It's raw, vegan and refined sugar free. I made 2 versions but of course you can experiment in many different ways.
Ingredients (makes 15)
- 110 gr Dates
- 45 gr Almonds
- 30 gr Grated Coconut (+10 gr for coating)
6 ingredients version
- The 3 base ingredients
- 1/2 spoon rum (or 3 drops of rum aroma)
- 1/2 orange grated zest
- 4 spoons cocoa powder (+2 for coating)
- All you need is a food processor and a little bowl. Start by chopping the almonds in the food processor for 10 seconds.
- Add the dates to the food processor (after removing the seeds) together with the grated coconut.
- Version 1 (3 ingredients): take a couple of tea spoons of mixture and work it with the palms of your hands to form the ball shape. Drop the ball in a bowl with grated coconut and move it around until it's covered in white. Leave to cool for 1 h in the fridge then serve.
- Version 2 (6 ingredients): add the orange zest, the cocoa and the rum in the raw dough and mix well. Form the balls then roll them in a bowl with cocoa powder to create the brown coating. Leave to cool for 1 h in the fridge then serve.
TIPS: Cashew nuts and walnuts can be an alternative to almonds if you prefer. If the mixture doesn't stick too well after you've worked with the food processor, you can add 2 tsp of coconut oil. Keep the raw balls in the fridge in a container, so you can enjoy them for breakfast or as a snack for a few days (up to 5 days)!
Have you tried it? Do you have any suggestions? Leave your comment