Quiche is one of my favorite dishes to cook and share with friends. Especially now that I found the perfect mix of ingredients to make an easy, fool-proof and even vegan shortcrust.
One of the best parts is that you can just choose your flavour and ingredients, and make t your own. I baked this one for a vegetarian friend who visited for lunch and I'm very proud to share. You should try it, vegetarian, simple and healthy!
Ingredients (8 servings)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 leek
- 300 gr asparagus
- 200 ml milk
- 2 Eggs
- Cheese (100 gr grated soft cheese or mozzarella, and 30 gr of parmesan)
- 140 gr millet flour
- 70 gr corn flour
- 40 gr chickpeas flour or gluten free gram flour
- 5 gr xanthan gum
- 20 gr olive oil
- 5 gr salt
- 110 ml water
- Start from the crust: mix the dry ingredients in a bowl: the flours, salt, xanthan. Add the oil and mix with a fork. Pour in the water, start mixing with the fork and continue with the hands until you can form a smooth ball. Wrap in cling film and keep in the fridge for 30 minutes at least.
- Even though the quiche will stay long in the oven, you should briefly cook the vegetables upfront. I suggest you to cook separately the 3 ingredients (leek in disks, sliced zucchini and chopped asparagus), until soft but not fully cooked.
- Whisk the eggs and the milk in a bowl, add salt and spices to taste (sprinkle of pepper and nutmeg for example), then add the soft cheese and half of the parmesan. Combine the vegetables with the milk and egg mixture.
- Roll the dough until 3-4 mm thick and create the base of the quiche in a rounded tin, covered in baking paper. I usually roll the dough between 2 sheets of paper and then transfer the dough together with the bottom baking sheet.
- Adjust the shape on the sides (it should be around 5 cm high), create some wholes in the dough with a fork, then pour in the filling. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 °C for 40 minutes.
TIPS: The quiche is better when warm, 30 minutes after cooking, however you can keep it for a couple of days in the fridge. If you have the cupcake tin, you can also prepare mini quiche, ideal for a stand-up dinner or finger food solution.
Have you tried it? Do you have any suggestions? Leave your comment!