French galettes are a paradise for celiacs and gluten-intollerant people! When I studied in France it was love at first sight. It's a sort of whole-grain crêpe, but it's 100% gluten-free because it's made of buckwheat.
It is richer in flavor than usual crêpes and for me it's a better combination with savory fillings (even though there are a few sweet combinations as well.
It's easy to make and it can be a fun solution if you have friends for dinner.
Try it if you have never tasted it before!
Ingredients for 4 people (16 small galettes)
For the dough:
- 250 gr buckwheat flour
- 60 gr maizena
- 1 L cold water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 200 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling:
- 400 gr champignon mushrooms
- 3 onions
- 200 gr cheese (Brie, Camembert or similar)
- 200 gr ham
- Prepare the batter, is you can the night before, if not a couple of hours in advance. Put the flour in a big bowl, open the egg in the middle and mix with a wooden spoon, starting from the center with the egg. Add the water little by little and keep stirring. Whisk the batter for 10 minutes with an electric mixer. Cover with a cloth and let it rest (minimum 2 hours).
- Prepare the fillings. Cook the chopped mushrooms in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil (10 minutes) and on another pan cook the onions cut in strings, with a drizzle of oil and a bit of water to make them softer (20 minutes).
- When it's time to cook the galette take the bowl and stir the batter well. Add the oil and milk, and stir until it's all combined.
- To cook the galette first of all grease the pan with some oil or butter. Put it over medium heat and add the batter only when the pan is hot.
- Distribute the batter evenly and cook for 3-4 minutes on one side. After a minute from flipping, put the cheese in the middle, let it melt for a little then add the ham, a spoon of mushrooms and a spoon of onions.
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
TIPS: If you don't use all the batter in one go you can store it in the fridge for a couple of days. Otherwise you can cook a few extra plain galettes and use them for breakfast. They're great with fresh red fruits.
Have you tried it? Do you have any suggestions? Leave your comment!