I met Alfajores for the first time in Peru, and then I found out that there are many version across Latin America.
In Argentina for example I tried the version with dulce de leche and coconut powder. Delicious as well!
This is the Peruvian version, have fun!
- 220 gr gluten-free flour
- 30 gr maizena
- 5 gr xanthan gum
- 100 gr butter (unsalted)
- 30 gr sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 gr manjar blanco (or dulce de leche)
- In a medium size bowl place the butter, sugar, yolk and vanilla essence and whisk until fluffy and creamy.
- Combine the flour and xanthan, and add little by little to the creamy mix. Work with your hands to form a ball. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll the dough with a pin (3 mm thick) and use a cookie cutter to create disks of a diameter of max 5 cm.
- Bake for 20 minutes at in pre-heated oven.
- Let the cookie cool down, and then create the alfajores like a sandwich: 2 cookies with a spoon of manjar in the middle.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.